TFX Ultra: Clamp-on Ultrasonic Flow and Energy Meter
The TFX Ultra-clamp-on ultrasonic flow and energy meter provides accurate and repeatable liquid flow measurement for full pipes one-half inch or larger.
Built for non-intrusive flow and energy measurement applications, the meter attaches to the outside of the pipe and does not contact the liquid being measured.
The clamp-on design allows quick and low-cost installation, and eliminates worries of fluid compatibility and pressure head loss.
With no moving parts, there is no mechanical wear, so repair kits or replacement parts are not needed.
- Measurement type: ultrasonic bi-directional flow measurement
- Liquid types: liquids with small amounts of suspended solids or aeration Ultrapure Liquids to Liquids with small amounts of suspended solids or aeration
- Accuracy: +/- 1% of reading
- Repeatability: +/- 0.5% of reading
- Available protocols: Modbus RTU over RS485 communications, and Ethernet connection including BACnet/IP, Ethernet/IP and Modbus TCP/IP
- Piping/tubing sizes: ½ inch (12 mm) and above
- Configurations: flow meter or energy meter
- Measures energy usage in Btu, mBtu, tons, KJ, kW and mW Add MMBTU
- water & wastewater
- HVAC/energy monitoring
- power generation
- food & beverage
- flow system commissioning and troubleshooting
Transit time flow meters utilize two transducers which function as both ultrasonic transmitters and receivers. The flow meters operate by alternately transmitting and receiving a frequency modulated burst of sound energy between the two transducers. The burst is first transmitted in the direction of fluid flow and then against fluid flow. Since sound energy in a moving liquid is carried faster when it travels in the direction of fluid flow (downstream) than it does when it travels against fluid flow (upstream), a differential in the times of flight will occur. The sound's time of flight is accurately measured in both directions and the difference in time of flight calculated. The liquid velocity (V) inside the pipe can be related to the difference in time of flight (dt) through the following equation: V = K * D * dt, where K is a constant and D is the distance between the transducers
The TFX family of transit time flow meters is equipped with either two transducers that are clamped on the outside of a closed pipe at a specific distance from each other or a single clamp-around design. For applications that use two transducers, the transducers can be mounted in V-Mount where the sound transverses the pipe two times, W-Mount where the sound transverses the pipe four times, or in Z-Mount where the transducers are mounted on opposite sides of the pipe and the sound crosses the pipe once.